Re: nested tuplet problem

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: nested tuplet problem
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 08:41:40 +0200

Juan Cristóbal Cerrillo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently began working with Lilypond and am very excited about the
> possibilities.
> I have however encountered a problem I can't seem to work around and
> wonder if this is a bug.
>
> If you have a nested tuplet that begins as the first event of the
> enveloping tuplet, any options of direction or placement for the
> larger tuplet are transferred to the enclosed tuplet as well.

As an override, \tupletUp does not provide "direction or placement for a
tuplet" but rather "direction or placement for this and all of the
following time steps".

Now if you put two conflicting overrides at the same time step, usually
the latter one wins.

The solution is to use a "tweak" which is bound to a particular music
event rather than to a time range.  2.18.2 conveniently provides \single
for converting an override into a tweak.

> A simple example: the 5 should be up, and the 3 down, but both are down.
>
> \version "2.18.2"
> { \tupletUp \tuplet 5/4 { \tupletDown \tuplet 3/4 {c' c' c'} c4}}

Try

{ \single \tupletUp \tuplet 5/4
  { \single \tupletDown \tuplet 3/4 {c' c' c'} c4 } }

--
David Kastrup