Re: add stems to rests under a beam?

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: add stems to rests under a beam?
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 12:10:33 +0800

actually, Lily apparently already provides a handy mechanism for explicit vertical placement of rests: instead of writing r16, I write a16\rest (replacing the a with whatever pitch I prefer to use), and the rest is placed at that position. It's like the second item in the Reference for rests, §1.2.2.

However, now I have the issue that the stems aren't lengthened accordingly, so that they collide with the rests. Is there an \override for that?

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Klaus Blum <address@hidden> wrote:
N. Andrew Walsh wrote
> I'd prefer to keep the position of the rests as close to
> unchanged (ie where they would otherwise appear, were they not under a
> beam) as I can. Obviously this will force all the stems to be considerably
> longer than normal, but I'd rather that than have the rests suddenly drop
> towards the bottom of the staff.

Hi Andrew,

you could use an invisible notehead and put the rest in a new voice:

% ----------------------------------------------------
\relative c' {
  \override Stem.stemlet-length = #0.75
  c2~ c4 c8[
  <<
    \hide d'16
    \new Voice
    b16\rest

  c,16] | c4
}
% ----------------------------------------------------

However, there is a problem: the rest is not centered below the stemlet.
You could use \shiftOff, but this will produce an error message about
noteheads and rests on the same stem:

% ----------------------------------------------------
\relative c' {
  \override Stem.stemlet-length = #0.75
  c2~ c4 c8[
  <<
    \hide d'16
    \new Voice
    \shiftOff
    b16\rest

  c,16] | c4
}

There's some way to supress that with "expect-warning"...
I also tried \omit NoteHead, but that doesn't help.

But maybe that's a start...

Cheers,
Klaus