Making overlapping grace notes

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Making overlapping grace notes
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 16:13:40 +1000

Hello Ponderers,

My score has many places where a beamed set of grace notes start precisely on a note in a voice, and consequently overlap the first starting note. This is fine, and what the composer specifically intends (common notation in the New Complexity School). The attached image shows a snippet of a typical scenario.

In my example, I can’t get the start of the grace to sit on top of the note in the other voice. Indeed, lilypond is being very excellent about avoiding a collision, but I want to persuade it to align. I can achieve this with normal notes, but not with grace notes. Is this even remotely possible?

\version "2.19.25"

treble = {
  \clef treble
  \time 1/4
  s4
}

bass = {
  \clef bass
  \time 1/4

  \stemDown
  <<
    {
      cis,,16. b,,8 d,32
    }
    \new Voice
    {
      s16. s8 s32
      \grace {
        \bar ""
        \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #-1 % no effect
        d,8
        bes,
        \change Staff = "treble"
        \stemDown