Re: hide and omit behaviour

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: hide and omit behaviour
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 16:22:11 +0200

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks David,
>
>>> Not sure pushing things back is part of the "\once" functionality.
>>
>> It isn't.  Correct.  Plain context properties don't have either stack or
>> the subproperty complications of \override, so \once\unset, as opposed
>> to \once\revert, indeed works.
>
> That explains it, thanks.
>
>> Try looking in the manual for how to set the _style_ of tuplet numbers.
>> I think this works by overriding the stencil callback, so just doing
>> \once followed by whatever would reestablish the normal tuplet look is
>> likely to work.
>
> As usually, your guess is right and very helpful. That works perfectly:
>     \once \override TupletNumber.stencil = #ly:tuplet-number::print
>
> Thanks also for all other replies to my question.

I've decided to have a go at it.  There is now an issue 4596 in our
tracker (currently at
<URL:http://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4596/>) with a patch
that should have made your

\once \undo \omit ...

approach work as expected.  I don't like all aspects of its behavior but
it should be reasonably robust.  It would have been a quagmire before
the groundwork from issue 3072, but at least now the semantics are
well-defined and predictable even though they aren't perfect (in
connection with quotes and partcombines, \once\unset and \once\revert
might "revert" to a state unrelated to the context where the music gets
used).

--
David Kastrup