Re: Re: Fauré requiem

From: karl
Subject: Re: Re: Fauré requiem
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 19:59:56 +0200 (CEST)

Simon Albrecht:
> Am 09.09.2015 um 16:55 schrieb address@hidden:
> >   http://turkos.aspodata.se/choir/osthammar/faur%C3%A9/requiem.pdf
>
> Some remarks:
> – In choral music by convention the dynamics, sometimes also
> articulations, phrasing slurs &c. are placed above the staff, at least
> if a lyrics line follows below. This often allows to save vertical space
> and more importantly it brings the lyrics closer to the associated
> staff. So: \dynamicUp

Yes, I know and I don't like it, but I could add a flag so others can
have it their way. I should probably make a note about it.

> – A similarly standard convention: don’t beam notes outside melismata.
> That means: \autoBeamOff, manual beams with melismata. This convention
> has only been put aside in the 20th century for music with great
> rhythmic complexity, where beaming is necessary for legibility.

I don't like that either, but perhaps it would be good to have it at
commas and breaths.

> – Why not use \RemoveEmptyStaves, at best along with fitting line breaks
> e.g. Agnus Dei, before m.32 and 45?

Good thinking, I'll do so.

> – You might be interested in
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2015-05/msg00079.html>:
> placing the ambitus after clef and key signature (see also issue 4396).
> It leaves less of an unsightly gap and it makes more sense.

Your rationale sounds correct, but I'm used to it as it is, and kind of
like it better that way - clearly separated from the music. Had your
abitus placement been default, I'd probably been "used" to that instead.
 The only thing I have against your way, is that it is a little
confusing, it looks more like the music one are to play. Perhaps there
should be something to make it look different than the notes to play/
sing, e.g. smaller heads or a different shape or colour.
 I have note thought about the abitus gap, but now when you say so it
is a little big. There must be way to shrink it.

Thanks for your time,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148