Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Jacques Menu
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 22:54:01 +0200

63 years old, recently retired computer scientist, and an amateur double reed
player after playing the double bass for some time.

Started with LP 2.12, across which I came looking for a LaTeX complement for
producing scores.

After using TextMate on Mac OS X I switched to Frescobaldi some time ago. Quite
happy with it, although the copy/paste/search/replace mechanism doesn’t behave
as expected on a Mac. Maybe I’ll look into this one day.

My use of LP is mainly for my own needs to circumvent my reading limitations by
producing better scores.
I also help friends in various contexts, such as creating a choir score with an
added tenor voice in G clef for a singing girl-friend, or transposing for
various instruments.

After some experiments, I’ve come to either scan scores with PhotoScore
Ultimate (PU) and then go thru MusicXML to LP, or enter the LP syntax by hand
if the original is too low quality.

Before exporting as MusicXML, only the minimal stuff is worth doing with PU,
such as checking keys, clefs and the number of notes/beats per bar, and moving
some dynamics so as to attach them to the right notes.
In particular, fixing the slurs and number of rests in multirests can be
avoided altogether, since the fixes are lost in the export. The bars numbers in
comments and \barNumberCheck are fixed afterwards interactively if needed by a
bash/sed script.

In one occasion, the LP code produced this way was rather messy, with a last
staff being much too long to be displayed in PDF: importating the MusicXML into
Finale 2014 and re-exporting it as MusicXML gave me a quite usable LP code.
Sibelius 7.1.3 failed at this quite particular task… Working with those
commercial tools is discouraging to me, too much mouse fine-tuning of details!

As to having other people move to LP, I’m conscious that text input won’t
appeal to everybody, the leaning curve is steep indeed.

Thanks to all of you who contribute to LP development and user support: the
latter is always fast and a most useful help!

JM