Re: Chords and what they mean

From: 70147persson
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 01:05:12 +0200

On 2015-09-19 00:13, David Kastrup wrote:
Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

Having different *input* syntax for different people according to their
taste is more complicated and it's doubtable that this is a good aim for
LilyPond. Exchanging code gets more complicated and small snippets are
not necessarily self-consistent. You always would have to specify the
definitions. One example where it is possible is the input language of
notes (e.g. \language english): In my German (\language deutsch) code <c
e g b> is a C7 chord not a Cmaj7. For note names I like that.
What I am trying to say: Adjustable input syntax also makes life more
complicated in other circumstances.
\language is usually a closed set, so editors like Frescobaldi can be
taught to convert from one to another.  Conversions of freely
user-defined syntaxes is something entirely else, though.

My imagination of the procedure is, as I wrote before, not to change anything internal of LilyPond, but to use some kind of pre processor. This should, by means of a translation table, take my input and translate it into LP code. So when I write c:sus this will be changed to e.g. c:sus4 (or perhaps c:1.4.5) before it is dealt with by LP, and when I write c:5 it is translated into c:1.5.

However because of the discussion which has followed my question, I begin to believe that the answer is no. Such a pre processor does not exist today.
/Kaj