Re: Polyphonic repeats with lyrics (and rests)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Polyphonic repeats with lyrics (and rests)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 13:08:41 +0200

Hi David,

On 19.09.2015 06:18, David Wright wrote:
I noticed some erroneous alto lyrics invading recent CPDL editions of
Farmer's Fair Phyllis. I think the cause was some overenthusiastic
factoring of the lyrics using tagging. So I thought I'd run up a copy
myself, producing folded/unfolded scores from one source file.

However I found, like others, that repeat barlines and voltas popped up
all over the place as soon as I entered the lyrics into the correct
structure. The Notation reference manual is not much help because none
of its examples involves either rests or more than one vocal line.

While none of the workarounds I've found on the web does the job
satisfactorily, I think it's unduly pessimistic to say, "Unfortunately
there is no clear recipe for entering lyrics and repeats which will
work in all circumstances, as all the suggestions are work-arounds due
to there being no well-defined interface in LilyPond for handling
repeats in lyrics."
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-03/msg00866.html

It isn’t unduly pessimistic, but realistic. The ‘right’ example you gave is pretty good except that it doesn’t work with \lyricsto. However it still does not offer a good way to have different texts for the different repeats – I think that’s what Trevor meant by speaking of a ‘well-defined interface’. Such an interface would need to
– be straightforward in entering
– work with \lyricsto
– allow using the same text for all repeats (using \repeat volta {} \alternative {{}{}}) or different text, with simple consecutive lyrics entry and automated fitting into the repeat structure (at least that’s how I figure it), or with a \repeat lyrics {} command, or something else. – print braces {} around text lines for different repeats, and vertically center-align neighbouring lyrics without repeat (within one stanza this is commonly found in hymns in the Bar form; for complex multiple-stanza layouts see e.g. Distler, Mörike-Chorliederbuch on IMSLP). Perhaps \repeat stanza {} might be introduced. Automatic printing of stanza numbers?

So this is a really large topic, and until we have someone able and willing to design and implement such a feature, we are bound to workarounds.

As I said, you gave a good example there and it may well make sense to include it as a ‘docs’ LSR snippet. You might have a look at the Contributor’s Guide (via <http://lilypond.org/development.html>) for that.

Yours, Simon