Re: idea for fretboard-diagram chords

From: bart deruyter
Subject: Re: idea for fretboard-diagram chords
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:28:43 +0200

hi,

I think things like adding \set chordShape #a would only be good in barré cases.

I suggested the string as basis because of all the chords that are not based on the basic chords, and in different positions as well, with a root on different strings, often found in Jazz.
I've looked at the link Patrick showed. These are indeed based on basic chord shapes but again, these don't offer a solution for chords out of the basic chord shape range.

In the mean time, I'm already working on a list :-p, I'll put them on github when I've got something worth to look at :-)

grtz,

Bart

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 18.09.2015 um 08:40 schrieb bart deruyter:
>> Hi all,
> [...]
>> For inversions one might choose a number based on the n'th note of a
>> chord, for example 2 as the second note from the root note, which in the
>> case of c:m would result in a ees as the lowest note and display a
>> fretboard diagram accordingly.
>>
>> \invertedChords = \chordmode{
>> \setrootString #'6
>> \set inversion #'2
>> c4:m
>> }
>>
>> I think this can be used for other instruments too.
>>
>> What do you think? Can this be achieved? Is it a good idea to implement,
>> good enough for a feature request? :-) .
>
> I like the idea, perhaps enlarged by a \set chordShape command.
> Most chord shapes may be derived from either an open C, A, G or E
> chord voicing.
>
> \set chordShape #'A
> c4:maj7

This is the basic idea of