Re: arabic maqamat

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: arabic maqamat
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 15:29:57 +0200

> Some time ago thankfully I got a code to use English language in arabic
> sheet music instead of italian from Harm (Thomas Morley).

Well, all I did was making the TabStaff display things like "½", etc.

> (I think he
> offered the code free for public use? See:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg103827.html )

In case the questions arises:
All my codings published on this mailing list or the gernan forum are
public domain, unless I stated different or my coding affects
otherwise licensed stuff. Then the license for this stuff has to be
warranted.

> I added the code from the description of the maqam groups
> (See: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/arabic-music.html
> )
> from arabic.ly.
>
> So now I can use the key signature of a maqam simply by name as it works
> with arabic.ly . I safed it to the other LP libs and can use it simply with
> the usual line
> \include  arabice.ly
> (The added "e" should remind me to the usage of English and prevent a naming
> collision with arabic.ly, the italian version.)
>
> The idea may be of interest for some special interest LP users? Should
> become a LP standard - IMO.

I think the TabStaff should accept quarter tones, etc, otherwise
quarter tone bendings will not be possible to print.
I had some privat mails about this with Federico, he may put up a pull
request at openlilylib.

Maybe I put up a patch for our source as well, but there are so many
things to do. Don't hold your breath for it.

Cheers,
  Harm