Re: Repeat with alternatives

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Repeat with alternatives
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:48:33 -0500

Quoting Thomas Morley (address@hidden):
> > Quoting address@hidden (address@hidden):
> >
> >> I’m trying to write a piece that has repeats with alternatives. It seems
> >> that “
> >> \repeat volta 2” is the way to go with supplying the alternatives in “\
> >> alternative”. However, this seems to work only for alternative endings,
> >> while I
> >> have alternative middle parts.
> >
> > Hi again, thanks to
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-10/msg00399.html
> > I can now close the volta bracket with this undocumented feature,
> > \allowVoltaHook, thus avoiding inkscape postprocessing.
> >
> > Be aware, however, that \allowVoltaHook is global and unresettable,
> > at least at the level of \score. (I don't use \book myself.)
>
> Apart from being listed in available music-functions there is indeed
> no documentation for `allowVoltaHook' and it is indeed global and
> unresettable.

Yes; I'm not sure what the function was written for, if using it in
the way I did is "appalling".

> Probably best to changed it into a property. Another entry on my
> (very) long TODO-list.
>
> To get around the problem of `allowVoltaHook' being global you could
> define a new bar-line (basically renaming):
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> #(define-bar-line "|-b" "|" #f "|")
> \allowVoltaHook "|-b"

This seems to work well. I noticed that define-bar-line was the only
other occurrence of   [void] - bar (string)   in the Notation manual,
but that meant nothing to me. Now I have another target to think
about: how music functions work.

Thanks for the snippet.

Cheers,
David.