Gregorian notation - augmentum problem

From: Noeck
Subject: Gregorian notation - augmentum problem
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 23:32:52 +0100

Hi,

I know that the support for Gregorian chant is not the best. But does
anybody know how to solve this:

If I add an \augmentum, the line breaks at this point and the former
part is stretched to fill the line. Can I avoid this?
Here is a small example:

\include "gregorian.ly"
#(set-global-staff-size 40)

music = {
  \repeat unfold 20 a
  % \augmentum
  \repeat unfold 20 a
}
\new VaticanaStaff \music
\new Staff \music

In my real piece (150 lines), the situation is even worse and the line
breaks after the first 1,5 words while usually about 10 words fit into
one line. Adding more \augmentum commands in other places sometimes
solve the issue for others. Unpredictable for me. The worst case was
that the second line did not break anymore and went off the page. I
guess some note value scaling and the requirement that line breaks can
only happen at bar lines?

Next question: Why this grouping by four? Are there invisible bar lines?
\cadenzaOn solves that but now I lack automatic line breaking. Any ideas
to that? Can the spacing be done without any timing just by the need of
the lyrics?

Cheers,
Joram