Markup for repeated notes or phrases

From: Stephan Neuhaus
Subject: Markup for repeated notes or phrases
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:45:44 +0100

Dear list,

I have a piece that contains phrases that are repeated often. For
example, let us assume that the phrase consists of two sixteenth notes.
In the piece in question, the unit of repetition is in fact much longer;
this is just an example. So I have done this:

phrase = { c16 d16 }
\relative c' { \repeat unfold 8 \phrase }

But the composer has sometimes put expressive marks on some of the notes
in the phrase, some of the time. For example:

\relative c' { c16 d c d c d c d\staccato c d c d c d c d }

Obviously I could do

\relative c' {
  \repeat unfold 3 \phrase
  c d\staccato
  \repeat unfold 4 \phrase
}

But this obscures the fact that the "c d\staccato" is the same as
"\phrase", just with expression markings added. (When the unit of
repetition is several bars long, this is not as obvious as in this
simplified example.)

Is there an elegant way to keep the structure visible, and yet to add
markings to selected parts of \phrase?

Thanks in advance,

Stephan
--
GPG key ID 4BDA81D3
    fingerprint 5F88 399F 8811 72BE B36A  FC93 4D13 FCB2 4BDA 81D3