Re: A command-line wrapper for OpenLilyLIb

From: Matteo Ceccarello
Subject: Re: A command-line wrapper for OpenLilyLIb
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:07:49 +0100

Hi Urs,

thank you for your post on Scores of Beauty. As for the Frescobaldi integration, I have good news :-)

Il 10/11/2015 18:46, Urs Liska ha scritto:
It would be nice if the tool could be used to *only* update the
openLilyLib versions without actually running LilyPond. This would be
useful in cases where you usually use editors (like Frescobaldi) to
invoke LilyPond and to create the actual command line to be used. And in
cases where `lilypond` is not the invocation to be used. I'm
specifically talking of my use of Frescobaldi, but I'm sure this holds
for many other users as well.
Since `ollc` accepts all the options accepted by `lilypond`, it is already considered a valid lilypond compiler by Frescobaldi. I am already using it in this way (see the attached image for a snapshot of my preferences pane).

As of now `ollc` uses the first version of `lilypond` that it finds in `$PATH`. This may cause some problems to people using multiple versions of `lilypond`, leveraging the ability of Frescobaldi of selecting the right installed version for each score. To tackle this issue, I could add a command line switch like `--with-lilypond` that accepts a path to a `lilypond` binary. This way, one could configure Frescobaldi with

    ~/bin/ollc --with-lilypond /opt/lilypond-2.19/bin/lilypond

to use, for instance, lilypond 2.19 installed in /opt/liliypond-2.19.

Maybe it would be cool if ollc could be made accessible as a module too.
That way external tools could integrate it more easily (e.g. have
Frescobaldi call it to set openLilyLib to the right state.
If the `--with-lilypond` approach works, this may not be necessary. In any case, I would prefer to let the tool mature a little bit before trying integrating it with any other software.

Best regards,
Matteo