Re: Gounod - Le Rendez Vous

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Gounod - Le Rendez Vous
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 15:13:32 -0700 (MST)

Alberto,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Simon Albrecht-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 12.11.2015 16:52, Alberto Simões wrote:

> Hello, Simon!
>
> On 12/11/15 11:21, Simon Albrecht wrote:
>>
>> Two annotations:
>> – Sometimes it would be nice to have whiteout for DynamicTextSpanner
>> against SpanBar; I don’t quite know the best way to do it, though.
>> Perhaps you could use \markup\whiteout-box on the individual text bits?
>
> I didn't understand it very well. You are saying the text from
> crescendo/decrescendo and the -- -- are too close?
No, I meant overlaps as in valse 1, m. 39/40. The following works fine:
%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.31"
\new PianoStaff <<
   \new Staff {
     \partial 8
     8-\tweak bound-details.left.text \markup\whiteout "cresc." \cresc
     4 4 4\!
   }
   \new Staff {
     8
     4 4 4
   }

%%%%%%%%%%%
In 2.19.32, it will be possible to specify padding in whiteout-box (as
of issue 4504). That will be preferable then, but for now
whiteout-outline is just fine. (try \whiteout-box instead of \whiteout
to test)

I've finally gotten around to looking at the score in more detail and here are a few more things I've found to improve things:

1. In addition to Simon's suggestions for improving the appearance of the dynamics when clashing with barlines, a couple of other options are to choose between the general

\override DynamicTextSpanner.whiteout-box = #3

or changing each individual text (where necessary) to

\markup { \override #'(thickness . 3) \whiteout-box \italic "TEXT" }

Those two settings seemed to work really well on my computer. I found that \whiteout-box gave more reliable results than \whiteout.

2. Valse 1 m.58 beat 2, f in chord should be fis

3. Valse 3 m.47 move the dynamic "f" left so staves can be closer together using \once \override DynamicText.X-offset = #-2 just before the note it is linked to.

That's about all for now. Hope that helps.

- Abraham