Re: Aligning a tempo marking with a note

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Aligning a tempo marking with a note
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 18:24:58 -0500

Hi Joram,

> Well, they are closer than cresc and rit for example.

Definitely!  =)

> marks like 'Allegro' are valid for a whole piece or at least large parts of it

Not really… A metronome marking is only valid until the next time the tempo
changes in any way. That change could be immediate and extreme (e.g., “Molto
Lento”) or immediate and not-so-extereme (e.g., “Poco meno mosso”) or gradual
(e.g., “poco accel.”). The tempo is then reset, either explicitly (e.g.,
“Allegro”) or by reference (e.g., “A tempo”).

> A similar thing (not fully equivalent) is this: bar numbers and
> rehearsal marks. Both can be used to identify a point in time, the
> latter are for larger chunks, the former more fine grained.

I agree that the analogy is not fully equivalent.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info