Re: Repeat with Alternative on First Time

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: Re: Repeat with Alternative on First Time
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:41:57 +0100

Hi Mike,

this is actually covered in the Notation Reference, more precisely, right there:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/long-repeats#manual-repeat-marks

Best,
Robert

Am 25/11/15 um 13:57 schrieb Michael Hartl:
Dear Lilypond Experts,

this is my first time posting to this list. I am trying my hand at
engraving a song with a perhaps unusual, but very simple repeat pattern
and I couldn't find out how to come to the correct result from the manuel.

The melody goes like this:

It should be set like:

<common part verse> [1. <verse ending first time> ] [2.-3. <verse ending
second-third-time>] <chorus>

Right now, I do:
\repeat volta 3 {<common part verse>} \alternative {{<verse ending first
time>} {<verse ending second-third time>}} <chorus>

But, this gives me "1.-2." and "3." instead of "1." and "2.-3." for the
alternative endings. This looks like it ought to be easy to correct, but
I can't figure it out.

How can it be done?

Also, \repeat itself is actually wrong, because the verse is not
repeated before the chorus. Is there any way to use \alternative
without \repeat? A \repeat over the entire song would be acceptable, but
then again I can't use \alternative in the middle of
\repeat, but only at the end.

Thank you
Mike