Re: NR 4.1.4 ragged bottom and vertical spacing

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: NR 4.1.4 ragged bottom and vertical spacing
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 16:14:50 +0100

Il giorno ven 11 dic 2015 alle 14:19, Noeck <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Hi Federico and Simon,

 %%%%%
If a page has a ragged bottom, the resulting distance is the largest of:

    basic-distance,
    minimum-distance, and
padding plus the smallest distance necessary to eliminate collisions
 %%%%%%

Does it mean that it will take the largest value between those three?

 Yes.

Depends on how you define largest value. Not in the sense of
 max(basic-distance, minimum-distance, padding)
because they measure different distances from different points.
I tried to illustrate it here:
http://joramberger.de/files/LilypondSpacing.pdf

So the final distance is the basic-distance (which can be stretched and
shrunk), but not smaller than minimum-distance. Depending on the
available space, it can more or less than basic-distance, but never
smaller than minimum-distance. And in addition not so small, that
objects from the upper staff are closer to objects from the lower staff
than padding.

I'm not convinced.. See the example below: it seems that the final distance is always the largest value defined in either basic-distance, minimum-distance or padding (stretchability is not taken into account). Which is what the documentation says.

%% EXAMPLE %%

\version "2.19.32"

\paper {
 ragged-bottom = ##t
 system-system-spacing =
   #'((basic-distance . 12)
      (minimum-distance . 6)
      (padding . 35) ; the largest wins
      (stretchability . 50)) % this is just to show that doesn't matter
}

{
 \repeat unfold 30 { c1 d e \break }
}

%% END EXAMPLE %%

Perhaps ragged-bottom should be better explained, especially in the conditional sentence above. I'd rather say: "If space stretching and compressing is disabled (e.g. because ragged-bottom is set to true), the resulting distance is the largest of...". Does it make sense?

PS
Before posting this question I was about to ask which synonyms you would use for "ragged". This is because I used to forget often the real meaning of ragged in lilypond: when some space distance is ragged, notation elements take their natural space and no compression or stretch is in action. In this sense, I'd use "natural" as synonym rather than, say, "cut".