Re: Rounded beams

From: ciconia
Subject: Re: Rounded beams
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 15:01:48 -0700 (MST)

> Printing and handwriting are different things with different traditions,
> focus, and typography.

Yes two different things, but a single tradition really. A g clef has a
standard form but it's clearly an imitation of handwriting. Same for flags,
trills, mordents etc.

> If printed beams were supposed to be curved,
> they would have been easy to engrave into plates with appropriate rakes.
> But it does not appear like that was desired.

Well, two examples immediately came to mind -

Marais' first book of pièces de viole:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184811/marais.jpg>

and Couperin's Goûts Réunis (not only 8th notes):

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184811/couperin.png>

Both engraved on copper plate. FWIW, I don't think a curved beam would
necessitate another engraving tool. The beaming tool could very well be
moved on a curve. After all, slurs are curved!

I get that there's a certain standard of music notation, but that doesn't
mean that alternatives are necessarily invalid. The Marais engraver, for
example, so much of what he does would today be considered just "wrong", but
personally I think it's just gorgeous.

Sharon Rosner