Re: parameters in lyrics?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: parameters in lyrics?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 14:04:35 +0100

Graham King <address@hidden> writes:

> With apologies for continuing to flog this subject...
>
> I've taken David Kastrup's advice, and upgraded to 2.19.32, and I might
> now be able to simplify this problem quite radically, and eliminate some
> limitations, with a small change of syntax.
>
> Below is the germ of the idea.  The thing I'm missing is a markup
> function to take an arbitrarily long stretch of lyrics, prepend "[" to
> the first syllable, and append "]" to the last syllable.  Is this even
> possible in principle?  Or am I wasting my time?

Well, the length of a markup list is determined at markup interpretation
time, so it's not all that suitable in general to integrate markup lists
into lyrics.  It would be different with \lyricsto since then the length
is really only established at execution time.  So one could try
combining SequentialMusic with an elements-callback that will interpret
a markup list and then return one LyricEvent per stencil.

I don't think that anybody tried doing this yet.

> As a side issue:
> I don't really understand why I can write:
>
>         redden = \markup \with-color #red \etc
>         reduced = \markupMap LyricEvent.text \redden \etc
>
> but not:
>
>         reduced = \markupMap LyricEvent.text \markup \with-color #red
>         \etc

I count two instances of \etc in the first and only one in the second.
You use the \etc in the second example to turn \markup ... \etc into a
markup function.  But you are still missing the music (or another \etc)
that \markupMap is supposed to be applied to.

--
David Kastrup