Re: Percent repeat counter in Staff with ChordNames

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Percent repeat counter in Staff with ChordNames
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:03:02 +0100

Robert Schmaus <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Lilyponders,
>
> I have the following problem: Within a staff of "normal" written
> music, I include chord names to indicate improvised/soloing
> passages. If a chord is repeated over a large-ish number of bars, I'd
> like to use percent repeats and possibly the counter, too.
> But I can't get the counter to work:
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \version "2.19.18"
>
> \score {
>
>   \new Staff
>   \with {
>     \accepts "ChordNames"
>     \consists Percent_repeat_engraver
>   } {
>     % some written out music
>     c''4 c'' c'' c''
>
>     % switch to changes
>     \chords {
>       \set countPercentRepeats = ##t
>       \set repeatCountVisibility = #(every-nth-repeat-count-visible 4)
>       \repeat percent 8 { c1 : maj7 }
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Everything works fine except the Percent Repeat Counter. If I switch
> from \chords { ... } to \chordmode { ... }, the counter works, but I
> no longer get ChordNames but stacked notes.
>
> Is something missing from the \with { ... } statement?

No, from the \set statements.  They are setting countPercentRepeats and
repeatCountVisibility in the Bottom context while the engraver actually
looking at them is in Staff context and consequently queries the
properties at Staff level which are unfazed by changes at Bottom.

So you need to write

   \set Staff.countPercentRepeats = ...

and similar.

--