Re: Strings as variable names

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:42:03 +0000

> > From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> > To: Andrew Bernard <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
> > Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:51:51 +0100
> >
> > Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Consistency with what actually?
> >
> > After
> >
> >     xxx = ...
> >
> > you can refer to \xxx.  And
> >
> > "xxx" = ...
> >
> > has always been allowed for arbitrary strings.
> >
> > > And so the NR should in fact therefore be updated?
> >
> > It's not really making stuff more readable.

I think it would be useful to have it added to the NR.

I have always been frustrated by the fact that I can't (or thought I
couldn't) use underscores in variable names, and also that numbers are
not allowed.

Using the syntax with quotes is rather ugly, I agree.  But it is
nonetheless potentially useful for two reasons:
(1) it enables us to use numbers etc. in variable names
(2) the quotes help to distinguish our own defined variables from
Lilypond's own.

David