Is there a bug in the way Lilypond handles staccatos?

From: Devin
Subject: Is there a bug in the way Lilypond handles staccatos?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:00:33 -0500

Hi,

I am working with Walter Bender on a visual programming language called "Music Blocks" (http://musicblocks.net).

Neither of us know Lilypond well enough, so maybe someone on this list can help us out.

As part of Music Blocks software, we are developing a feature where the user can export to lilypond and we have a staccato feature in our own code, which we are trying to get to go down the pipeline to the lilypond code.

Our Question:

Is this a bug?

This doesn't work:
a'4 (b'4 \tuplet 3/2 {a'8 b'8 c'8} )

But this does:

a'4 (b'4 \tuplet 3/2 {a'8 b'8 c'8) }

(The parenthesis and brackets must be flipped in order for the lilypond code to work)

It does not make sense to me and Walter, but then again we may not be familiar enough with how Lilypond works.

At any rate, we are able to generate code either way, but if this is an issue we thought to bring it up now. Our full conversation can be found at https://github.com/walterbender/musicblocks/issues/180#issuecomment-184214934

Devin