explicit (temporary) staff-spacing overrides

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: explicit (temporary) staff-spacing overrides
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:55:15 +0100

Hi List,

I have a piece in which a stretch of measures has no notes or barlines, but requires a lot of vertical space (that is, sets aside space into which graphics may be placed from external sources). So I have the following:

\version "2.19.36"

celloMusic = \relative c {
\key c \major
\clef bass
\time 4/8
es16 g es g es4 | \hideNotes es2 | \omit Staff.BarLine  \repeat unfold 9 { es2 } | \unHideNotes s8 s s g\(^\markup \right-align \italic { (solo) } \undo \omit Staff.BarLine |
}

\score {
\celloMusic
}
NB: this is one voice in an ensemble. There are other variables set for the others that I have omitted here.

What I would like is to be able to set, explicitly for the section between \hideNotes and \unHideNotes, for the stave to have much more vertical padding around it. Is there a way to set that manually without doing it at the Staff level?