Re: Organ pedal foot substitution

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Organ pedal foot substitution
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 08:01:03 -0700 (MST)

Joseph,

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Joseph N. Srednicki-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could someone possibly tell me how to code alternate foot organ pedal substitution as shown in the attached image file attach_a.png?

This image is from Dickinson, Clarence. The Technique and Art of Organ Playing. London: H. W. Gray, 1922, p. 117. (Note this book is available from the IMSLP site.)

(Some editors also use curved lines with arrows as shown in the attached image file attach_b.png. This solution with the curved arrows will also work for my purposes if it’s easier to code.)

I located the following related thread in the mail archive: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-12/msg00386.html. The solution proposed in that thread works for same foot substitution, and I intend to use it. However, that solution does not work to indicate alternate foot substitution.

If there is a solution in the mail archive or snippets that I have overlooked, please feel free to point me to it.

Thanks for any suggestions or solutions.

Here's a working solution that you can customize to your taste (the width of the new markups, controlled by the \draw-line command's x-component, may need to be adjusted depending on the horizontal spacing of your intended usage):

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.18.2"

heelToToe = \markup {
  \halign #-1.2
  \concat{
    \raise #0.5
\musicglyph #"scripts.upedalheel"
\hspace #0.5
    \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0) \concat {
      \draw-line #'(3 . -5.5)  % <-- controls width
      \lower #5.5 \musicglyph #"scripts.dpedaltoe"

toeToHeel = \markup {
  \halign #-1.3
  \concat{
    \musicglyph #"scripts.dpedaltoe"
    \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0) \concat {
      \draw-line #'(3 . 5)  % <-- controls width
      \raise #5.5 \musicglyph #"scripts.upedalheel"

music = {
  \clef bass
  c,2_\rtoe g,^\heelToToe |
  c2^\heelToToe g^\heelToToe |