Re: Dynamics context and vertical positions

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Dynamics context and vertical positions
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:30:06 +0100

On 16.03.2016 11:07, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
\layout {
   \context {
     \Dynamics
     \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.basic-distance
= #0

I wonder why isn't this the default behaviour though, why would people want
the Dynamic context so far away from the related staff. Would it be because
that helps the dynamics being centralized in the PianoStaff?

Yes: for a single-staff instrument one wouldn’t normally use an extra Dynamics context.
You can make this your ‘personal’ default by using a stylesheet, though.

  Anyway, I think
it could be nice to document this at
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes#dynamics
as, at least for me, the solution is far from obvious and the default
behaviour isn't satisfactory for single staffed instruments.

I don’t think we can blow the documentation up with explanations for such particular use cases.

Best, Simon