Re: \volta \alternative and \( .. \)

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: \volta \alternative and \( .. \)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:52:09 +0100

Sigh. Well, \repeatTie does well enough, I suppose (though, it should be on the same side of the staff as the phrasingSlur, but I can deal with that). Question: does having that tie cause issues with phrase lyric alignment?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 9:29 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
"N. Andrew Walsh" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm working on a short song, which repeats three times and has alternate
> endings. However, the music has a phrasing slur that should extend into the
> alternate ending. This works fine for endings 1 and 2 (ie, the first of two
> \alternative expressions), but the second does not, and I get an error in
> the log that it "cannot end phrasing slur".
>
> Here's an MWE to show what I mean:
>
> \version "2.19.36"
>
> \relative c'' {
>   \repeat volta 3 {
>     \repeat unfold 3 {
>       a a a a }
>     a2 a\(
>   }
>     \alternative {
>       { a\) r | }
>       { a4\) r r b | }
>     }
>     c d e a, | a1 |
>   }
>
> Is there a way to have a courtesy phrasing slur end on that second
> alternative ending?

The usual expedient is to use \repeatTie here.  We had a more complete
approach in review already but it was sort of hackish and had a number
of things hardwired that were likely going to end up problematic, and
the discussion did not really lead to a satisfactory resolution.

--
David Kastrup