Re: Licence LilyPond Logo?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Licence LilyPond Logo?
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 16:44:40 +0100

Marco Heins <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm currently working on a free tutorial about notation typesetting
> with LilyPond for classical guitar. I was wondering if it would be
> violating the licence if I show the nice LilyPond Logo on top of my
> tutorial?

I'm not sure about the exact licensing conditions of the LilyPond logo,
it will certainly be freely distributable but anyway you will not likely
be sued over it.

In the context of trademark logos, actually printing the logo usually
does not just identify some trademarked entity but also is considered to
constitute endorsement and/or an official relation with the trademarking
entity.  A logo at the top of a page without context almost certainly is
considered an official communication by the trademark bearer itself.

Which is not really the case here (yet?) so using the logo in a
prominent position like that is likely to cause confusion.

So while it's not likely to be an actual licensing or trademark problem
(I am pretty sure the logo has not been trademarked by anybody), it
still might not be the best idea.

--
David Kastrup