Re: Fonts from the former fonts.openlilylib.org

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Fonts from the former fonts.openlilylib.org
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 18:58:01 +0000

On 3/26/16 12:09 PM, "Abraham Lee" <address@hidden> wrote:

>If there are no objections, I will provide you with the latest files that
>existed at the time I closed up shop. I can't stop you from hosting them,
>but if I can request one thing, I'd appreciate it. Would you please stop
>hosting when my new site is made
> public? That would help me a lot since I'm really the only one who can
>provide full support at the moment and I'd like to minimize the number of
>different versions I'm supporting. Thanks!

I appreciate your willingness to share the files that existed at the time
of closing up the shop.

I totally understand the issues of not wanting to have to support multiple
versions, and I'd like to be very supportive of you and your latest
versions.

I'm concerned, though, about people who have successfully used your free
versions, and then find that the newer version of the font is no longer
free, but is proprietary.  I think that having a proprietary font is
inconsistent with free software.  I'm not opposed to you having
proprietary versions of your fonts.  I'm not opposed to having the
proprietary versions of the font work with LilyPond.  But I'm concerned
about having proprietary fonts advertised in LilyPond's official website,
documentation, and mailing lists.

How would you feel about having a git repository of the fonts, with clear
labeling that the fonts are not your latest and are not supported by you,
as a historical repository of the old version of the fonts?

Thanks,

Carl