Re: When to Use Pound Signs

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: When to Use Pound Signs
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 03:29:36 +0200

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 20:42:39 +0100
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Jason Silver <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Anyone have thoughts on how to notate a A minor add 9?
>> >
>> > I've tried this:
>> >
>> > chExceptionMusic = {
>> >   <c e g d'>1-\markup { \super "add9" } % 1.3.5.9
>> >   <c ef g d'>1-\markup { "m" \super "add9" } % 1.3.5.9
>> > }
>> >
>> > with this:
>> >
>> > chordNames = \chordmode {
>> >   \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions
>> >   | a:1.3.5.9 | a:1.3f.5.9 |
>> > }
>> >
>> > I get an error with the minor add 9.
>>
>> Please try not making up code on the fly but use the actual code you
>> worked with.  It's rather tricky for readers to figure out genuine
>> errors from typos.  Here chExceptionMusic does not match chException,
>> and anyway, there is no such thing as a:1.3f.5.9.
>
> Of course there is. Who says no, the chord police? Regards, Rale

I really don't understand why people don't read mails carefully and
think about what they have read.

The original code-example didn't compile on its own, so David asked
for a compiling code.
Let me add, we recommend tiny example on our website
http://www.lilypond.org/website/tiny-examples.html
and, speaking for myself,  I really want to copy/paste/compile/watch
within ten seconds.
All other is a nuisance (at least in most cases) and I tend to
postpone work on posts without proper example-code.

>> there is no such thing as a:1.3f.5.9.
This is ofcourse correct. It's simply wrong LilyPond-syntax.

Additional David gave the sollution:
>> Did you intend to write - instead of f
but you deleted this ...
Well, one could add a corrected code, but do you really expect giving
user-support means making their work for them, in my leisure time,
without payment.
Really?

So I have to say your remark is completely inappropriate.

-Harm

Btw,

\version "2.16.2" %% ??

\language "english"

chExceptionMusic = {
  <c e g d'>1-\markup { \super "add9" } % 1.3.5.9
  <c ef g d'>1-\markup { "m" \super "add9" } % 1.3-.5.9
}

chExceptions =
#(append
  (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions chExceptionMusic #t)
  ignatzekExceptions)

\chords {
  \set chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions
  | a:1.3.5.9 | a:1.3-.5.9 |
}

Happy Easter