Re: Fonts from the former fonts.openlilylib.org

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Fonts from the former fonts.openlilylib.org
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:05:59 +1100

Hi Carl,

Since Abraham is relicensing his fonts to make them proprietary (and I make no bones about the use of that term), font foundries normally deny you this first freedom that you are assuming. I assume Abraham will not supply this freedom either. Typically a text font may not be used any way you wish. Of course you can use it to typeset whatever you want, but that is not the freedom in question. If you purchase a commercial font you are restricted by licence to the number of desktops thay may use it, or are restricted to desktop, or web, or app, or ebook, each with a different licencing structure. It’s hardly free. Take a look at any contemporary font vendor licencing and pricing page. I would be suprised if Abraham did support freedom #0.

Andrew