Re: Lilypond structure / implicit - explicit / with statement

From: Bernard
Subject: Re: Lilypond structure / implicit - explicit / with statement
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 16:59:54 +0200

On 03-04-16 13:30, Simon Albrecht wrote:
On 03.04.2016 08:15, Bernard wrote:
I would like to comprehend Lilyponds structure.

I read http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/contexts-explained
and
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Musicians_Guide/sect-Musicians_Guide-LilyPond-Syntax-Commands-Contexts.html

That does seems logical.

So if I comprehend right :

Code implicit :
{c'}

Code explicit :
\score {
\new Staff {
\new Voice {c'}

Are similar. Not identical but similar.
1) Is that correct?

Yes, that’s what is explained in the Learning Manual.

3) I would like to use and to be able to disable the \with statement.

I don’t quite get what you want to do here. Please give more explanation, and an example.
Ok Simon,

I tried to solve my problem myself, if I had enough info. But that make it to abstract.

Please see the attached examples.
1 + 2) The first two are clear now.

3) With a \with statement does execute as expected.

4) Does use the \with statement but within "{ }"
This generate the error : unexpected \new

5) As 5 but "<< >>" Also generate an error

6) Does execute, but without a \with statement and without a voice

7) As 6 but with a voice, generate an error

My real code is much more complicated. All boils down to what is the \with statement. That seems to be a very specific statement, which controls also what happens outside the statement. I have read http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/interpretation-contexts.en.html and associates pages. I assume it is related, but I do not really get it.

If I could view, within an implicit context , like :
{c'}
the full explicit context like :
\score {
\new Staff {
\new Voice {c'}

That would help a lot for understanding (and bug fixing). I just want to comprehend this \with statement and contexts.

Thanks for your help,

Bernard