Re: Lilypond structure / implicit - explicit / with statement

From: Bernard
Subject: Re: Lilypond structure / implicit - explicit / with statement
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 21:20:04 +0200

On 04-04-16 18:35, David Kastrup wrote:
Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

I think I am getting quite close now. Thanks,
I have no idea what you think you are doing but I have severe doubts
that you are getting close to anything useful.  It looks to me like you
are just randomly putting syntactic entities into a bag and shake.

Have you read through the Learning Manual?  It should tell you how
LilyPond organizes its input.

Thanks David and others, but I give up.
For your info I did read the manual, much more then I wanted to.
My ultimate question boils down to how to assign a value to a property. That should not even be a question.

Lilypond advertise itself being easy, and it is.
{c'} does create output.
Even a bit more complex examples are made.
This because code is generated implicit. But at the same time it hides what is behind, creating confusing.

You have implicit knowledge and explicit knowledge. Using implicit knowledge creates confusing. As being new to Lilypond I might see inconsistencies, which are, for those with many experience not noticeable any more.
I might learn those inconsistencies but first I have to comprehend them.

For me, when someone come new to work for a company, the first two weeks are most valuable. He can see things nobody else can see, who do work their many years. Use those info or it be lost.

Sorry but just assigning a value to a property, when then property is known and the value is known, should not be such a hassle.

It has similarities to a Goldovsky-error http://www.joshuakennon.com/mental-model-goldovsky-errors . Similarities but not equal. You all spend a lot of time to help me. I spend a lot of time believing Lilypond is easy to use and to customize.

I thought I was close. But you are right, I am not. And I am not spending more time to just assign a value to a property.

But still, thank you all for your efforts.

Greetings,

Bernard

At any rate, \new DrumStaff is optionally followed by a context
modification before the single music expression it typesets in the
DrumStaff context.  In the above case, that music expression is {
\override ... djembe) }, so \djEen has nothing whatsoever to do with the
DrumStaff and is just a spurious expression in the \score.