Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Python 3, was Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:00:38 +0200

Am 24.04.2016 um 09:56 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Noeck <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> So how do you define "the default"
>>
>> As written before: What ships with the default installation.
>
> So python3 needs to be invoked using #!/usr/bin/python3 in the scripts
> (what happens when Python 4 gets created), and we need to either support
> Python2 and Python3 in parallel (including from GUB) _or_ make a hard
> switch where we change _every_ script to use Python3 _and_ change GUB
> from one version to the next.
>
> _And_ Wols insists that he does _not_ want to use a common subset of
> Python2 and Python3 even temporarily but do this right away using
> Python3-only features.
>
> Now having a separate prescribed #!/usr/bin/python3 shebang may seem to
> make testing half-way reliable.  But in reality, the LilyPond code base
> does not contain #!/usr/bin/python to any sizable degree (there is a
> single script which might be an oversight) but instead address@hidden@
> so again, there does not seem to be much of an alternative for an
> all-or-nothing approach, and trying to mix this with making use of new
> language features at the same time seems like a logistic nightmare.

OK, but what happens when we face the situation that some distros have
#!/usr/bin/python to Python 2 and other to Python 3?
This is something we can't control at all, so at latest *then* we'd be
in that situation, with the difference that *now* we have at least a
chance to control the transition.

I think this is about what Federico meant with this Guile 1.8/2
comparison - he didn't mean to say that we are in that situation *now*
but that we might run into it when the decisions of the distros are taken.

Urs

--
Urs Liska
www.openlilylib.org