Choice of pitch input mode

From: Matt Hood
Subject: Choice of pitch input mode
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 21:58:38 +1000

Hi all,

I’ve got a non-technical question regarding mode of pitch input. What does
everyone prefer? Relative, absolute, or a mix of both?

I’ve always stuck to relative, but I feel like I’ve hit a brick wall as far as
fluency goes. I’m still quite slow at it, and I spend half of my time trying to
work out whether I need to change octave or not - usually getting it wrong, and
watching half of a page disappear into ledger lines. Add in temporary
polyphonic passages, chords, etc, and it all just becomes an exercise in trial
and error. Any tips for keeping control?

Any anecdotes or mildly related musings are welcome, I feel like it would be
good to facilitate a general discussion.

Cheers,
Matt.