Re: Scoring song with multiple sections (with min example)

From: Henry Law
Subject: Re: Scoring song with multiple sections (with min example)
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 21:58:15 +0100

On 01/05/16 19:09, Noeck wrote:
a minimal working example would get you more help

Yes, sorry; I should have done that to start with. Thanks to your I'm nearly there. This example ...

%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

\score {
    <<
      \new ChordNames { c2 c }
      \new Staff = "melodyStaff" {
        \new Voice = "voiceOneTwo" {
          \relative c' { c4 d e f }
        }
        \new Voice = "bridgeVoice" {
          \relative c' { a b c d }
        }
        \new Voice = "voiceThreeFour" {
          \relative c' { f g a b }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voiceOneTwo" { this is verse one }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voiceOneTwo" { this is verse two }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "bridgeVoice" { this is the bridge }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voiceThreeFour" { this is verse three }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voiceThreeFour" { this is verse four }

}
%%%%%

.. has all the bits I want, as shown in http://www.lawshouse.org/music/minimal_example.jpg but the words to the bridge are on a third line of lyrics, and the words to the second section of the song are on two more lines. I want the bridge lyrics to be on the "top" line of music (in line with verse 1), and the same for verse 4, with verse 5 on the second line.

I've experimented with \voiceOne but that doesn't have the required effect. I suppose I could just write it as three verses, using \skip to get the words into the right places horizontally; but it seems like a kludge so if there's a better way I'd like to know what it is.

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England