Re: London-Heathrow

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: London-Heathrow
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 15:32:53 +0100

On 4 May 2016 at 15:25, Wols Lists <address@hidden> wrote:
> If you just want to do some sightseeing, I'd suggest getting the
> Picadilly to Leicester Square (50 mins). That's in the middle of Soho,
> or China Town. Head south to the river, and it takes you to Trafalgar
> Square, Charing Cross Road, St Martin in the Fields, that sort of area.
> From Trafalgar Square you can head down to Westminster and the Houses of
> Parliament. (Then you can catch the Jubilee to Green Park and Picadilly
> back to Heathrow.)
>
> As an alternative, get off at Green Park and walk down past the Palace.
> And all the places I've suggested are some distance from the City of
> London :-)
>
> You'll need an Oyster Card (a smart-card that lets you use the transport
> system), and there'll be details on the tfl website. I'm sure me and/or
> other Londoners will chime in if you want to know any more.

You can buy the Oyster Card at most ticket machines. There's a £5
deposit that's refundable, and you load it with cash.

But you DON'T want an Oyster for your purposes. Get a Zone 1-2 Day
Travelcard plus the return from Heathrow. Unless you're staying for a
few days refunding the card is probably going to be a hassle.

If you do go to Trafalgar Square*, there's the National Gallery and
Portrait Gallery too, and both aree free to visit IIRC (you're
encouraged to leave a donation).

If you like museums there's some good ones out towards South
Kensington (Science, Natural History, Victoria and Albert, etc.).

 Chris

* (tube stations either Trafalgar Sq itself, Charing Cross, or
Embankment will do... depending where you're coming from).