Re: Using strings and other types to return markup

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: Using strings and other types to return markup
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 12:16:08 -0500

On 05/11/2016 11:58 AM, Phil Holmes wrote:
I didn't think it was really a tilde either, but it just seemed to
make a close approximation.  Attached is my LilyPond approximation of
that section of the madrigal.

It is a tilde; the tilde derives precisely from the scriptural abbreviation for elided characters (not always n).

At <URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde > you can find a list of the Unicode precomposed characters (copy and paste them if you don’t feel like figuring out how to type them).

The Unicode character “combining tilde” can be used to put a tilde over arbitrary preceding characters; for example, c◌̃ may show as c-with-tilde in your mail.

You can enter arbitrary Unicode characters in LilyPond with e.g.

\char ##x0303

for the combining tilde.

~Chris
“If you’ve been a man o’ action, though you’re lying there in traction,
 You will gain some satisfaction thinkin’, ‘Jesus, at least I tried.’”
  — Andy M. Stewart (1952–2015), “Ramblin’ Rover”