Re: Extending the staff for time signature changes between scores

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Extending the staff for time signature changes between scores
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 06:26:18 -0700

Thanks, that works.

---
Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 6:23 PM, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed 18 May 2016 at 08:43:12 (-0700), Knute Snortum wrote:
> My situation is this: I have two \score sections and at the end of the
> first I want to alert the reader that the next staff will have a time
> signature change.  Lilypond does this for me perfectly within a score but
> between two scores it gets problematic.  Consider this code:
>
> %%% Start code
> \version "2.19.41"

The quick fix: s/2.19.41/2.18.2/
ie run "stable" LilyPond.

The new fix (AFAICT):

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \override StaffSymbol.break-align-symbols = #'(time-signature key-signature staff-bar break-alignment)

> \language "english"
>
> \paper {
>   ragged-right = ##f
> }
>
> theChords = \chordmode { e1 a b e }
>
> theBeats = \relative {
>   \time 4/4
>   \numericTimeSignature
>   \improvisationOn
>   \repeat unfold 4 {
>     | b'4 b b b
>   }
>   %%% Here is the problem
>   \time 7/4
>   % without the s16, the staff is not extended
>   s16 % with the s16, the staff extends too far
> }
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new ChordNames \theChords
>     \new Staff \theBeats
>   >>
>   \layout {
>     indent = 0
>   }
> }
>
> theMelody = \relative {
>   \time 7/4
>   \repeat unfold 4 {
>     | c'4 d e f g a b
>   }
> }
>
> \score {
>   \new Staff \theMelody
>   \layout {
>     indent = 0
>   }
> }
> %%% End code
>
> If you compile this code to a PDF, you either get the new time signature
> outside the end of the first line (without the final s16) or you get a
> staff extension that is too long.
>
> Is this a bug or am I missing something?

The "explanation":
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Staff-ends-before-clef-time-and-key-td174133.html

I haven't tried it on the tiny number of my scores that have ossias.

Cheers,
David.