Re: Typesetting a Bach Ornament; Sarabande, French Suite 5

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Typesetting a Bach Ornament; Sarabande, French Suite 5
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 10:11:08 +0200

On 23.05.2016 02:48, Andrew Bernard wrote:
Do you want to do that or do you want to get close to what Bach wrote? If you
look at the Bach autograph of this piece, available in the Digital Bach
Archive, you will see not only no nachschlag there but hardly any phrasing
slurs, and definitely not the dotted one in your sample image. The ornament in
your edition is an editorial insertion

Hi Andrew,

I think you’re being a bit too rash here. The Henle ‘Urtext’ edition I have here also has the appoggiatura, written as in Harm’s second version, and although the Critical Report is laughable in that it doesn’t even list the sources used I’m sure there is a source from Bach’s environment that has the ornament, and it’s likely too easy to just say ‘the autograph is what Bach definitely intended’.
Sorry I can’t say more, maybe I’ll have a look at the NBA at the library.

Best, Simon