Re: OT: high-precision tuner app

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: OT: high-precision tuner app
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 17:42:01 -0400

A440 was made an ISO standard in 1955. Bands (orchestral) still
routinely ignore it. The pitch was raised especially during the late
19th century  partially due to the ability of pianos to withstand
greater string tension which gave the ability to produce louder sound
to cover larger and larger concert halls. Even in the earlier period
of the Baroque organs tended to be pitched high and then small organs
were used tuned in kammerton (chamber tone) with a lower pitch to
accommodate vocal music. Absolutely fascinating stuff but bizarre all
the considerations that affect pitch over time.

Shane