Re: Cannot install lilypond on a shared Hostmonster server

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Cannot install lilypond on a shared Hostmonster server
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 06:45:54 +0200 (CEST)

> Update: I have tried to build the latest tar on my system, but I got the
> following errors - interestingly all to do with symlinks:
>
>   70: extrac07.at:27     extracting symlinks to a read-only dir
>       extract extract07 read-only symlink
>   76: extrac13.at:26     extract over symlinks
>       extract extrac13
>   90: incr01.at:27       restore broken symlinks from incremental
>       incremental incr01
>
> I'll send the report to the tar people, but I suspect my system is somehow
> broken at a fundamental level.

I suspect that you are not using GNU tar while lilypond's tarball gets
created with GNU tar.  Please retry to unpack with GNU tar.

Reason: GNU tar's default packaging mode was changed to
`--format=POSIX` some time ago (at least this is what I see on my
openSuSE box), and there are many tar programs in the BSD world that
don't understand this – inspite of the fact that the POSIX.1-2001
standard is 15 years old.

I suggest that we add option `--format=ustar' to tar to still use the
ancient POSIX.1-1988 standard.

    Werner