Re: Sorting out annotation interface questions (GSoC)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Sorting out annotation interface questions (GSoC)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 13:21:25 +0200

On 27.06.2016 00:55, Urs Liska wrote:
\musicalIssue \with {
   author = "Urs Liska"
   context = "violin 1"
   message = "Slur obviously forgotten in original edition"
   apply = addition
} Slur

My question is: is this "application" the same as the type of annotation
action from the previous issue? Or could it occur that a project wants
to document types of editorial decisions independently from applying
visual indications of that?

A few unsystematic thoughts:
Well, there are limits to visual indication of critical matters. At least in some projects it will be impossible for the score to contain (or even hint to) every bit of information present in the Critical Report. I really think we should allow for great diversity in the possible approaches, i.e. editorial policies. In some cases it might be good to have a simple switch (modernise lyrics or not); in other cases everything must be decided on a case-by-case basis, with no automation being possible; and the type of annotations one will have, as well as how to display them in both the score and the critical apparatus, will be very different depending on the project. Perhaps that at one time our footnotes engine will be sophisticated enough to be used for such purposes, and include the apparatus in the actual musical text. It would be good to have hooks for such an approach.

I’m sorry I don’t have the time to take a deeper dive into this, but I really appreciate your efforts!

Best, Simon