Re: lilypond - Tex

From: bart deruyter
Subject: Re: lilypond - Tex
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 10:26:45 +0200

Hi all,

thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I posted this not only for practically using it at the moment, but for triggering some ideas and thoughts for the future.

It is obvious that music typesetting is meant for complete scores, but the mix of text and music seems quite frequent too. On the web I've found many experiments on linux, but most are, or incomplete, not-maintained, buggy, or which output is just plain ugly.

Luckily lilypond has been to the rescue for me, using the markuplist option and compared to for example Musescore, lilypond is the best (and only) option for me to mix text and scores.  Calligra Words used to have a lilypond entry option, but I haven't used it for a couple of years now, and backe then, when I used it, it crashed :-/ .
There is a plugin for including Musescore files in Open(Libre) Office, but even Musescore 2 still lacks quite some features, and the output of Open(Libre) Office is not what it should be compared to TeX.

I now am using TeXstudio for writing down what I'm learning, but I've noticed that frescobaldi has a filter to open LaTeX-files when I click on 'Open File'. Frescobaldi does not seem to do anything with a LaTeX file. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Perhaps Frescobaldi can provide easier setup/template to mix LaTeX and Lilypond in the future, with pdf-preview. If there's plenty of interest for that, I post a feature request for frescobaldi :-).

grtz,
Bart