Re: Horizontal shifting of a figured bass symbol

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Re: Horizontal shifting of a figured bass symbol
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:35:27 +0200

On 26 Jul 2016, at 11:03 , David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Robert Blackstone <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> In my experience, figured bass symbols are, or rather look, always perfectly
>> aligned vertically with their bass note.
>> Not, however, in this case. That is, the sharp is well aligned with the left
>> side of the whole note, as seen in the ME.
>>
>> ++++++++++++++
>> sh = \markup { \fontsize #-2 \sharp }
>> \relative c {
>> <<
>> \new Staff { \clef "bass" \time 4/2
>>
>>       e1 a,4. g8 f4 g |
>> }
>> \new FiguredBass {
>>      \figuremode { \override BassFigure #'font-size = #-2
>>              < \sh >1 < _ >1 |
>> }}
>>>>
>> }
>
> Any reason you are using \sh here instead of _+ ?

Hi David,
Yes, I do not at all like the accidentals in figured bass displayed in LilyPond
scores (way too small in comparison to the figures) so I looked for some
alternative that would give me more flexibility.
This (\sh) and similar commands for the flat and the natural, in different
sizes if necessary, works much better for me.
Replacing \sh with _+ in the ME makes the alignment marginally better, though
still not good enough for me, and the small size of the sharp-symbol I find
unacceptable.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone