Re: Horizontal shifting of a figured bass symbol

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Re: Horizontal shifting of a figured bass symbol
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:13:40 +0200

On 26 Jul 2016, at 11:40 , David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Any reason you are using \sh here instead of _+ ?
>>

>> Hi David,
>> Yes, I do not at all like the accidentals in figured bass displayed in
>> LilyPond scores (way too small in comparison to the figures) so I
>> looked for some alternative that would give me more flexibility.
>> This (\sh) and similar commands for the flat and the natural, in
>> different sizes if necessary, works much better for me.
>> Replacing \sh with _+ in the ME makes the alignment marginally better,
>> though still not good enough for me, and the small size of the
>> sharp-symbol I find unacceptable.
>
> Well, you _are_ overriding the BassFigure font-size here.  If you don't
> do that, the size becomes more reasonable.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Hi David,
It is probably a matter of taste rather than of accepted practice.
Just to check your proposal I've enlarged the ME:
+++++++++++++++
 sh = \markup { \fontsize #-2 \sharp }
\relative c {
<<
\new Staff { \clef "bass" \time 4/2

         e1 a,4. g8 f4 g |
         e'1 a,4. g8 f4 g |
          e'1 a,4. g8 f4 g |
         e'1 a,4. g8 f4 g |
}
\new FiguredBass {
        \figuremode {
                <  \sh >1 < 6 >1 |
                < _+ >1 < 6 >1 |
                \override BassFigure #'font-size = #-2
                <  \sh >1 < 6 >1 |
}}

}
My preference is definitely what is displayed in bar 3, although I still would
like to be able to shift the # both a tiny bit upward and to the right.
But as I wrote, I do not know how that can be done.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone