Re: StaffGroup bracket cut off by lilypond-book (issue 720)

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: StaffGroup bracket cut off by lilypond-book (issue 720)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 14:02:03 -0500

On Tue 02 Aug 2016 at 18:17:11 (+0200), Federico Bruni wrote:
> There's any workaround to issue 720?
>
> lilypond-book cuts off (not always, but too often) the StaffGroup
> bracket. You can see an example here:
> http://lilypond.org/ly-examples/tab-example.png
>
> If there's no workaround, I should look into other alternatives.

With no disrespect to lilypond-book, use LP to create unadorned PDFs,
pdfcrop to crop them, and then put it all together in a modern LaTeX
like pdflatex or lualatex.

> In the -user archives I've read that some include the PDF generated
> by LilyPond. And then, I guess, they still use LaTeX to add images,
> text and page numbering.

Exactly. Another good reason is the reduction in complexity. You can
concentrate separately on getting each cropped PDF just as you want it
before worrying about its placement in the final document.

Whereas, in a text document, LaTeX can juggle the vertical padding
to fine effect, LaTeX and LP can't play together to produce the same
sort of outcome.

> I'm going to bring this book to an italian composer who is also the
> president of a famous music academy here in Italy. So it must be
> perfect :-)

Great advocacy for FOSS.

Cheers,
David.