Re: that acciaccatura issue

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: that acciaccatura issue
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:31:19 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> At some point while creating a minimal example you may get:
>
> <<
>   \time 4/4
>   \key bes \major
>   \new Voice { s1 }
>   \new Voice { s1 }
>>>

> Now all voices (those you explicitely create _and_ the others) are not
> longer forced to be in one Staff.
> (Though I'm somewhat surprised only three not four staves are
> displayed. Obviously LilyPond accumulates some loosing ends per
> default.)

"loose ends".

commit fb79cea8ec10ebc40b96a05bf7f643e47fd93ddd
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Sun Mar 15 12:15:18 2015 +0100

    Issue 4324: Don't create Bottom to announce TimeSignatureEvent

    As a fallout of issue 4138, << \time 3/4 \new Staff c2. >> created a
    spurious Staff only containing a time signature.  This change avoids the
    creation of a Bottom context just for accommodating \time.  As a result,

        { \tweak color #red \time 3/4 c2. }

    will no longer show a change in color since no Staff context exists at
    the time \time is executed and consequently the tweak does not apply
    anywhere.  You have to use \time in existing Staff contexts to have
    either \tweak and point&click have an effect (and get an error locator
    when something with typesetting the signature goes wrong).  Outside of
    such contexts, \time just changes properties of the Timing context.

So (after this change, or before the mentioned issue 4138) the gist is
that \time changes properties in the Timing context (which by default is
aliased to Score, thus not causing a Staff to be created) while \key
changes properties at Staff level which necessarily requires a Staff to
be created (unless already in existence).

--
David Kastrup