Re: that acciaccatura issue

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: that acciaccatura issue
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 23:14:57 +0200

"Mark Stephen Mrotek" <address@hidden> writes:

> David,
>
> Thank you for your continued effort to instruct me in this matter.
>
> I am amazed/surprised/confounded on the amount of time and effort that has
> been expended on a justification of the "minimal" requirement what could
> have been spent on just viewing (via Frescobaldi not a PDF) the "errors" in
> my code. (Wow that was a run on!).
>
> You rightfully note that "an experienced user, namely Thomas Morely"
> was needed to comply to with the "minimal" requirement.

No.  I stated that even an experienced user, namely Thomas Morely, was
unable to discover the problem _without_ first significantly reducing
the example.

When I say that even a well-trained high jumper needed to take the
stairs for getting up a story, that does not mean that it requires a
well-trained high jumper for taking the stairs.

It means that it definitely requires the use of the stairs so there is
little point in waiting for a well-trained high jumper to come by.

Now Thomas went to the pain to make a step-by-step demonstration of the
process to reduce your sample to minimal.  If all you take from that
demonstration is the end result from that demonstration rather than the
process, I doubt he will be inclined to provide all of either the next
time.  Or rather, it will likely very much depend on his mood at the
time.

So you really are doing yourself a favor if you try, inefficient as it
may seem at first, to apply a similar procedure of reduction to future
examples.  There is nothing wrong with failure, and there is nothing
wrong with asking questions how to do better or more.  As long as people
get the impression that you are trying to follow their instructions in
order to make life easier for those helping you, they will likely be
sympathetic and lend you a helping hand.

--
David Kastrup