Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: Paul
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 18:44:07 -0400

I think the contents of the home page could use some changes as much or more than style. Simple things could go a long way, like moving the examples (http://lilypond.org/examples.html) to the home page. Those images show LilyPond's (arguably) best aspect, its high quality engraving. They clearly convey what LilyPond is about and helps the site be more immediately interesting and appealing to musicians. That is what I'd want new visitors to see first.

The long list of news could be moved to its own dedicated page, or minimized to a list of headlines on the home page that link to the full entries, etc. The news doesn't change enough to be so prominent, and is of more interest to existing users rather than new visitors, and I'd say the home page should focus on new visitors.

All IMHO of course,
-Paul